Monday, August 14, 2017

What's New in Stores: Makeup

I love shopping and I do it a lot, but I don't share my haul posts anymore. I used to do that when I first started my blog, but I stopped as I think such posts don't give much information. Besides, I often repurchase my favorite products, so my hauls are too repetitive. However, I decided to introduce new type of posts where I will talk about items that are new in stores and that I've bought and tested already. This way I can give a little bit more information and my opinion on those products.


The product I'm most excited about is Yves Saint Laurent All Hours Foundation (link). It's a pretty pricey foundation ($58 for 0.84 fl.oz./25ml), but it's so worth it. I've got into liquid foundations very recently, so there were a couple products that I enjoyed a lot, but once I tried this one I knew it is special. It gives a full matte coverage, but I think it can be applied thinner to give medium-full coverage. I only need a small amount to cover my whole face and neck and if I need more coverage on certain areas, then I apply an extra layer. It is matte, but it still leaves the face looking alive and fresh. The foundation has a yummy scent (watermelon or some fruity smell) which is an extra bonus. I've worn this foundation both for a couple of hours when going out and all day long during a hot and humid weather. In both cases it lasted fantastic and looked perfect at the end of the day. There was no wear off or patchiness anywhere on the face. I have light skin and wear products in light shades, but this YSL foundation seems to run lighter. I've got color B30 Almond and it is an ok shade for me though I look on the lighter side and when going out at night I almost wish I had more color on me. I've got a sample of B40 and I think that would be my ideal color that matches my skin and doesn't make me look pale or tan.


Next is Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Liquified Lipstick in color Eclair (link). Bite Beauty makes wonderful lip products that contain food grade ingredients, so you could even eat them (and considering how many lip products get in our mouths, we kinda literally eat them). I have a ton of lip products, but I was so tempted to try out this new product that I let myself pick one color only. That color ended being Eclair, which is a soft everyday rose shade. The lipstick is easy to apply, it doesn't bleed, it's very pigmented and opaque. It wears well, but it's not overly long lasting. It has a creamy finish and doesn't dry the lips. The shade and finish are so beautiful and universal that I would wear it not only during the day while running errands, but for a night out as well.


I'm picky when it comes to mascaras, but I rarely buy any myself. I usually end up using the mini ones I get as GWP. That's perfect for me as I use a mascara for only 3 months, and I never run out of it during that time even when using one everyday. Besides, I don't feel guilty if a mascara doesn't live up to my expectations and I just throw it away. Though recently two brands released their mascaras at the drugstore and they both intrigued me enough, so I went and purchased both. I've loved Covergirl mascaras in the past, so I felt confident purchasing the new Total Tease (link, top wand in the photo above). It has a plastic wand (I really have no preference with that). It does a fantastic job separating lashes. It gives both volume and length to the lashes and combs them beautifully.

The other mascara is L'oreal Voluminous Lash Paradise (link, bottom wand in the photo), and I didn't put high hopes into it. I've never been into L'oreal mascaras and they never delivered what they promised. At least not for me as people seem to love them and I would try a highly recommended mascara and be disappointed. Lash Paradise is being compared with Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara, which is one of my favorite ones, so that made me give a chance to L'oreal. To be completely honest, I love this L'oreal mascara! It makes my lashes look fantastic. It gives a lot of volume, but doesn't make them look unnatural or overweighted with product. It separates and combs lashes wonderfully. It also has a more neutral scent while Covergirl Total Teaze is fragranced a little too much for my liking. I usually choose to use L'oreal when going out at night or when I want to make a statement with my lashes, and I choose Covergirl when I want big, but less sedated lash look. However, while both mascaras are great, they both tend to accumulate chunks of mascara on the wands, so they need wiping off once in a while.


Last, but not the least is Smashbox Precise Highlighting Brush (link). Smashbox came out with a whole line of exciting brushes recently, but while I tried and had some of their brushes in the past, they've never been my favorite. Though this new line had some unique brushes that I saved to my wishlist. I was debating whether or not I need any new brushes and having in mind my previous relationship with Smashbox I wasn't rushing to make a decision. However, while I was at Macy's recently, I stopped by makeup department and saw that they had the whole line in stock (these brushes are sold through Smashbox.com and Macy's only). Well, I touched them and fell in love. I knew I had to have them, so the first one I got is Precision Highlighting brush, but I will definitely get a couple more for the face and maybe some for eyes. The brushes are very soft, and a lot of them have unique shape. For example, this highlighter brush is cut at an angle, which is unusual for this kind of a small highlighting brush. You can see it's shape in the photos where it's more flat in the back. This brush does a wonderful job and applies highlighter so easily. It hugs the contour of the face and the whole process feels so natural.      



No comments:

Post a Comment