Friday, August 18, 2017

Boxycharm August 2017 Unboxing and Review

I bet by now everyone heard of subscription boxes. There are so many of them available - shaving club, snacks, tropical fruits, candies from all around the word, baby stuff, workout outfits, pet boxes, and, of course, beauty boxes. The first time I heard about subscription boxes was 5-6 years ago, and I was so intrigued  that I got one called Eco Emi (I ended up getting 2-3 boxes probably). I don't remember much about it, but I still remember a couple of things it had inside and that most of the products didn't work for me or looked too handmade (not that it's a bad thing, but I wanted something more sophisticated). I just didn't see value in the box, so I canceled my subscription.

Even now I don't see value in many of those boxes. I know it works for many people, but I just don't want to pay $10-15 for a box full of samples that I can get in stores for free. However, very recently I found out about Boxycharm (link), which offers 4-5 FULL SIZE products retailing $100 or more. There are some items that everyone gets (sometime different shades of the same item) and some that varies. The box is $21/month. After looking at a few past boxes I loved what I saw and immediately signed up for one. I did know one spoiler at that time, so it was easier to make my decision. So let's look at my box and let me share my thoughts about this subscription box.


I'm not a patient person, so I knew all the variations of the box before receiving it. I would have been happy with any of them, so I'm satisfied with what I've received though there are a couple things I'm not going to use. Augsut 2017 box is called Beach Please and features Tarte eyeshadow palette, Pur eyelashes and Royal & Langnickel brushes. The other 2 items were different in the boxes.


The spoiler I was so excited about is Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Volume II eyeshadow palette (retails $36, link). Currently at Sephora it's on special for $18. I'm not into eyeshadows, so I only have 1 eyeshadow in my makeup collection (I use bronzer and highlighters on my eyes when I want something on). This palette is beautiful and the colors are very universal, neutral and basic, which I love. I've read various reviews about these eyeshadows, but after playing with them yesterday and wearing them today, I can say that I like them and they are fine for my needs. Some colors seem to apply easier and are more pigmented then others, but overall all the colors I've tried applied nicely and held well through the day. My eyes felt comfortable and weren't irritated, which is a big bonus. I still don't need a bunch of eyeshadows and I'm past my purple-green-blue-pink-etc. eyeshadow phase, so something like this will be loved and used.


Next item that was in all boxes is Royal & Langnickel Moda Pro 3-piece brush set (retails $26, link) featuring a pointed blush brush, a chisel brush and a crease brush. These brushes are super soft and 100% vegan and cruelty-free. I love that the handles not only have a cute design, but they don't slip as well. I've only tried the crease brush so far, but all of them will find their purpose in my makeup collection.


I didn't take separate photos of Bellapierre Waterproof Gel Eyeliner in Ebony(retails $15, link) and Pur Pro Eyelashes in style Bombshell (retails $14, link) because those are the two items I'm not going to use. I've used eyeliners in the past, but only on my lower lash line. However, I think I look and I feel better without one. It was an item that was in 2 of the 3 boxes. I've never really used fake lashes (I tried unsuccessfully), so that's another product that I will not use. This was something that all boxes received in one of two styles.


The third item that I loved is Aloette Face Paint in color Blooming Berry (retails $35, link). Two of the three boxes received this item in one of three available shades. I was very happy with the shade, but I was hesitant about the item itself. This face paint can be used on the lips or cheeks, but I will only use on my lips. The color is beautiful and very pigmented. It applies easily on the lips, only a small amount is needed and it feels very hydrating. The lips look full and shiny, the color doesn't bleed (I like to apply a little thicker) and it lasts well. I've used it both yesterday and today and the color lasted for 4+ hours. While I lost some of the shine when eating and drinking, the pigmentation was still on my lips and my lips felt very comfortable (no dryness at all). Initially I thought I might like this product and use once in a while, but I love it a lot and I know I will use it often.



To sum it up, I do see value in Boxycharm. I understand that it's impossible to get all the things and shades I'd love in a subscription box, so I'm happy with my box where I'll keep 3 items and give away the other 2. I enjoyed the box a lot and even with the things I'm not going to use $21 is a good price for the box. I'm still not sure if I'm getting next month's box as I saw another eyeshadow palette as a spoiler and I do not need one. I might wait until more spoilers come out to see if something else tempts me, but I know for sure that I will keep my eye on Boxycharm and will get one in the future again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment