Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Exploring Uoga Uoga products

Uoga Uoga is a Lithuanian brand offering fresh natural cosmetics. I've been eyeing this brand for the longest time, but I could never pick what I wanna try, so I decided to wait until I can touch and test the products in person.

During my trip to Lithuania I went to Uoga Uoga counter with a list of products I'm mostly interested in.

To tell the truth, my first impression wasn't that great. While the counter was clean, bright, well organized, and attractive, some tiny things set me back, and I left without getting any products from my list. Well, I did get some samples to try at the hotel, which I'm glad about as afterwards I changed my mind about Uoga Uoga to the better. The biggest issue I had at the counter was that the makeup products didn't have names on the packaging/counter, so I had to ask the sales associate to help me in identifying them. For example, I knew the name of the mineral foundation I was interested in, but the packaging had only number written on, and, also, it turned out it was misplaced in the wrong spot, so it all added to the confusion when looking at the color palette.

In my mind I imagined how products should smell, but in reality they had very neutral fragrance, and in case of shampoos, they had a rather medical smell. A while ago I loved strong sweet fragrance, but nowadays I prefer neutral or even herbal scents, so the way Uoga Uoga products smell was a good thing for me. On the other hand, the texture/packaging wasn't....

I was interested in two body butters: "Forest Delight" and "Cranberry Flood". The first one has a texture of a cream while second one is based on coconut oil. The second issue with the brand I encountered when trying to open the packaging. I've already tried some face creams on my hands, but I managed to open "Forest Delight". "Cranberry Flood" was a challenge! The jar was already oily as some of the body butter leaked from the jar and was covering the lid, so it was slippery in my hands. I had to use a tissue to open the lid. The smell was really great, and probably one of the strongest of the products I tried. I might have considered purchasing it if not for the packaging - I'm too scared to take this product on the plane (I always imagine the worst case scenario where the product leaks and half of the items in my luggage are ruined).

Just to be clear, most of the products I tested were based on oil, but Uoga Uoga carries items base on water too.


The brand was kind enough to gift me the lip gloss in color "catch me if you can", which gives just nice shimmer to the lips without adding any color. I got the samples of the other items I was interested in mostly, and I've already tried them out. By the way, the cute card in the photo has a recipe for making parsley ice cubes.

"Rowan day" shampoo is meant for dry hair, and the sales associated recommended another one commenting on my healthy normal hair and saying that this shampoo might be too heavy. However, I dye my hair very light, and I try to really take care of it by using different products to restore moisture, so that combined with the great reviews I've heard about "rowan day" made me pick this shampoo. I wasn't thrilled by the medical smell, and was skeptical about shampoo itself as I find natural shampoos to be one of the hardest categories in finding the right one. How wrong I was about this product! I didn't need additional leave-in spray after washing my hair, and it dried to look full, healthy, voluminous, dropping nicely around my face, I put my hair in a ponytail for few hours, and when I let them loose again, all I had to do is run my fingers through the hair to make the look perfect again. The best part is that my fingers didn't get tangled in the hair!

The second item on my wishlist was "moon dew" cleansing lotion for the face. One should take a damp cotton ball, put some lotion on it, and clean the face. I'm usually not a fan when it comes to few steps of washing the makeup off, but I enjoyed using the product. I don't feel comfortable leaving the skin as is, so I used another cleanser to wash my face, which took longer than usual in my makeup removal process. Not sure I would buy "moon dew", but I would highly recommend it for anyone who likes that kind of products.

Probably the product that I'm most excited about is mineral foundation. While reading descriptions for each color, I picked something different, but in the store the only shade that would fit me was "never sleeping beauty". I was a little lost at Uoga Uoga counter as I was thinking I need a tiny bit darker shade, but this was the only light shade with all the rest being way too dark for me. I also didn't really like the texture and feel of the foundation between my fingers. Again, somehow my mind worked weird about this brand and I though the cost was 6 EUR while in reality it is 18 EUR. That kept me from "well, I'll give it a try", and I took only a sample with me. I did try "never sleeping beauty" on my face. The sample pot wasn't to comfortable to swirl the foundation inside, so I took some with my brush and dotted my face with it before blending it out. At first I thought it will be very yellow, but once I was finished with my makeup, I really liked the result. In fact, I liked it so much that I'm thinking of getting the full size! The foundation has medium coverage, is very light feeling, makes the skin look healthy and radiant, and doesn't make it matte.         

To sum it up, I wasn't thrilled with face or body care products, but makeup items and hair products make me want try everything from those ranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment