Friday, May 8, 2015

Teeth care and oil pulling

Nowadays I want to really take care of myself. To have beautiful nails, glowing skin, healthy teeth is more important than mastering the art of makeup, because when everything else is perfect, there's no need to cover it up. Anyway, I'm taking special care of my teeth and gums, so I'm cinstantly looking into new products and methods to do that.

Recently I found out about oil pulling method, which involves swishing a tablespoon of coconut oil (some sources mention other oils too) in the mouth for 15-20 minutes until the oil doubles in amount due to oil mixing with saliva. It's supposed to reduce the amount of harmful bacteria in one's mouth, and this helps with cavities and gum problems. By reducing bacteria in the mouth people can avoid many dental issues, including bad breath. If you search online, you'll find many good feedbacks about it.

Since it sounds so appealing, I had to try it myself. Besides, it seemed like a small step that could give amazing results. I must mention that I do not have any big issues with my teeth, but preventative care is a big deal for me. So, one morning I decided it will be the day. It's recommended to do this on an empty stomach, and that's how I did it. I got out of bed and took a teaspoon of coconut oil (while this method mentions tablespoon, it seemed too much for me). The oil felt weird in my mouth, but very quickly it dissolved and felt ok. I got back to bed thinking I will check my email, read something online to pass the time, but not even 5 minutes later I was running for the bathroom. I barely made it, and the nausea was so bad that I told myself I will never ever try oil pulling again.    

The products I use for my teeth and mouth: coconut oilmouth washbrushing rinse (I use it as mouth wash), whitening toothpastetoothpastefloss
However, I was still curious how oil affects dental health, so I thought of a different way to use it. Instead of swishing oil around my mouth for 20 minutes, I use it in two different ways. First way is to take half a teaspoon or a teaspoon of coconut oil, move it around my mouth until it melts and swish for a minute or so. Then I spit the oil out, rinse my mouth with warm water, and brush my teeth the regular way. The other method I use it brushing my teeth with toothpaste, using the floss, and then taking coconut oil and swishing in my mouth for a short time. Afterwards I rinse with regular mouth wash. Sometimes after spitting the oil out I'll brush my teeth with whatever is left in my mouth and only then rinse or use toothpaste. Either way, I use the whole set: coconut oil, toothpaste, dental floss, and mouth wash.

I haven't noticed any obvious difference in my dental health since I started using oil, but I would be curious to see if my dentist will notice anything next time I'm having an appointment. Besides, I didn't find any other purpose for coconut oil in my kitchen or in my bathroom (believe me, I tried it all) that I would like, so this is a way to use it up, and I'm sure it makes no harm.    

P.S. Just want to mention that I usually have 2-3 toothpastes and 1-2 mouth washes open at one time, so I switch them around, e.g. will use one in the morning and the other one in the evening, or will use one for few days, and then the next one for other days.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, just what a blog it is! This blog has provided the helpful data to us continue the good work.teeth whitening

    ReplyDelete