Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Brand Review: Mojo Spa

It's been a long time since I reviewed a brand. I love doing that as I get to know the brand, its products, and since I'm in no rush, I get to see the pros and cons of them. Today I'm coming back with Mojo Spa (link here) which has a huge range of handmade cosmetics. Usually when I think about handmade, I imagine small batches of a couple specialized products (e.g. soaps/face care/perfume). With Mojo Spa things are different as they offer makeup for eyes, lips and face, different lines of skincare, various products for body care and bath. They also have such an exciting thing as massage candles! I mean it's even impossible to name them all.



When I got to pick my products, I had the hardest task as I wanted to try everything. However, I tried to stay with one theme, and finally picked Lip-A-Luscious lip scrub, Sugar Me Sweet face & body scrub, and Pear Berry body meringue. I opened and tested all these items the day I got them, because I was really curious.




I've always been bad with using lip scrubs. I buy one, try it a couple of times, and I get too lazy to include it in my skincare routine. Though I picked up Lip-A-Luscious lip exfoliator & moisturizer from Mojo Spa, and so far I've been good about using it. When I tested it for the first time, I imagined the texture to be hard-ish, but I was surprised how perfect it was. It's easy to take a little amount out of the jar yet the scrub is not too soft (and not too hard either). The other thing that I love about the texture is that the product is very uniform, and feels the same way when being rubbed on the lips. I've had store bought as well as homemade lip scrubs that have all good stuff (like honey, sugar, oils) in them, yet they seem to be more separated and feel grainy on the lips. I've been using this lip scrub almost every day since I got it, and I really enjoy it. I'm not a big honey person, but the taste doesn't bother me in this one. Usually I wipe it off just out of habit, but I left it on my lips a few times, and I have no complaints.

Before I got Lip-A-Luscious, I used to use a really thick lip balm, leave it on my lips for a few minutes, and wipe off with a towel to create some exfoliating effect. It worked well, but I prefer the actual lip scrub. I only wish Mojo Spa offered more flavors of this.




I've ran out of a body scrub a little while ago, and didn't have one until I got Sugar Me Sweet face & body scrub. I never planned to use this product on my face, and I didn't even try doing that. I only used it as a body scrub. Actually, I already used it up as I always use more than needed. Usually I go through any body scrub container up to 10 oz goes in 1-2 weeks. The smell of this scrub was very pleasant, yet I can't find the right thing to compare it to. It's like the word is on the tip of my tongue, and I can't do it. Maybe I could compare it a little with cookie dough though probably I'm not very accurate. Nevertheless, it was nice, and I think it is pretty much season neutral (not too heavy for summer, not too light for winter).

The first time I tried out the scrub, I tested it on my arm, and was disappointed. It seemed like one of those scrubs that are on the dryer side (even though they contain oils), and half of the product falls off the body when using them in the shower. However, when I tested it in the shower, I changed my mind. The scrub stayed on the skin where I put it, and nothing fell down on the shower floor. It was very gentle on the skin, the sugar particles were very fine, but I could feel exfoliation. It did a good job, but most sugar scrubs do the same in terms of exfoliation, so I can't praise Sugar Me Sweet as something amazing at that. Though one thing really impressed me as this product left a perfect layer of moisture/oils on my skin after the shower, but it didn't feel uncomfortably oily or sticky. I've tried many body scrubs that either didn't leave any film at all or made skin very oily. I still used body cream or lotion after the shower, but I needed lesser amount than usual.





Left: Sugar Me Sweet face & body scrub
Right: Pear Berry body meringue 
Last but not the least is body meringue in Pear Berry flavor. I was very intrigued by the name "meringue" and had to have it. Many people swear by coconut oil for multi purpose use, but I don't like pure coconut oil neither for my hair, nor for my skin. By now it must sound really weird that I pick products with ingredients that I don't like as this body cream has coconut oil as its number 1 ingredient. Though I believe that there are combinations where ingredients may work the way I like even when I dislike them on their own (can I be any more complicated?).

This body meringue is a very interesting product. It looks like a regular body butter/hard oil in the container (actually, it looks like pure coconut oil), but it is very soft once touched. It has mousse-like texture, and melts easily on the skin though the product didn't melt/soften up during a couple hot days that we already had. The good is that it really hydrates the skin, a little goes a long way, and it absorbs pretty quickly. However, it does leave a slightly oily film and glow/shine on the skin, so I probably would use it only on open skin when wearing dresses/skirts/shorts/short sleeves as to get the most of the product and not to rub it into clothes. Let me be clear - it didn't stain my clothing, but I would do that just to benefit the most from the product. Also, the skin feels amazingly soft even next day! I found that one of my favorite ways to use this meringue is to apply a little extra on my legs and then dust some highlighter on the very front of my leg. I use it when going out, and I love the effect.

The bad for me is the smell. I expected it to be more fresh, but it is kinda heavy-ish sweet. I don't smell pear and I don't smell berries, it's just something like berries buried under a pile of sugary sweetness. Again, this might be just my noise, but I'd prefer something lighter. Of course, this might be a con for me, but a pro for someone who is into these kind of flavors.


One more thing that I wanted to mention is that containers were sealed, which is a really big plus for freshness and hygiene. Mojo Spa products are reasonably priced, customer service is great, and I enjoyed the products a lot. When picking my products I wanted everything they have, and now that wish is even bigger. I will definitely try out more as Mojo Spa has such a big selection, and I was very satisfied with what I tried out already. Though I got all 3 products sent to me by the company, the opinion expressed in this article is my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment