Thursday, February 1, 2018

Product Review: Physicians Formula The Healthy Foundation SPF20

For the longest time I was into this one full coverage foundation that I could rely on for lasting all day even in hot humid weather. I still love it, but the shade that worked through fall and beginning of winter is too dark on my skin now. I was going to get the same foundation in lighter shade, but with all new makeup releases I decided to test some new foundations and see if I find one that I like. Well, I did try a bunch of them both drugstore and high end and the one I fell in love with is Physicians Formula The Healthy Foundation SFP 20 (link).


This foundation comes in a glass bottle and feels very high end. It came wrapped in plastic and the sticker you see on the back of the bottle was on that plastic (I moved it to the bottle so I could have that information in case I need it). It retails for $12.99, but Physicians Formula often has deals at drugstores, so you can get it for a really good price. I bought mine at Ulta as I couldn't find it at any of my local drugstores at the time.   

The Healthy Foundation SPF 20 is described as a long wearing, buildable and breathable foundation that gives lightweight, medium-full coverage with a natural, satin finish. I couldn't agree more and it is exactly what my opinion about is about this product. But let me expand on that a little later.


When I first received this foundation, I tried taking the cap off. Not sure why, but I expected it to have a pump. Instead, The Healthy Foundation SPF 20 comes with a doe foot applicator. I really don't mind that and it worked pretty well so far.

My only complaint is that it's a little messy. When I used this foundation for the first few times, every time I put the applicator back into the bottle, it would squirt some foundation out of the bottle. I clean the bottle around pretty much after each use, but as you can see in the photos, both the neck of the bottle and the cap of the applicator are dirty. Maybe this wouldn't be a problem if I held the bottle on top of my vanity, but I traveled with it and a lot of times I lay it in my vanity drawer.     


Usually I have no problem picking a shade, but this time it was even easier as there's a color chart on the brand's website. I picked LN3, which stands for Light with neutral undertone.

I dot foundation on my face using the applicator and work it into the skin with a Beautyblender. Then I apply a bit more of the foundation and blend it out again. I had no trouble with layering it and top layer doesn't move the bottom layer around. The shade is my perfect match and quite often I don't even go down my neck. It doesn't oxidize on my skin and looks just the same throughout the day. This foundation gives a medium to full coverage. I've never tried to build it up to full coverage, but I think it would be lacking to be a truly full coverage. It feels very light on the skin and gives a natural finish. It's not matte, but it's not glowy either. It gives a satin/demi-matte finish.

The Healthy Foundation SPF 20 lasts well all day. It doesn't rub off from touching the face or from scarf or jacket collar touching neck and face. It doesn't accentuate dryer spots, skin texture or lines. It doesn't settle into lines and doesn't break apart throughout the day. The only area I ever have to touch up is around the nose, but I don't blame foundation for that as I use a tissue quite often and it's natural that it rubs products away. Even then it lasts 4-5 hours without a need to touch up. As for the rest of the face, it lasts for 7-8 hours without a problem. I usually don't wear foundation that long, but if I do I fix my makeup around that time if I need to go out somewhere.       

This foundation is so good that I'm planning to get a darker shade for late spring. I will need to test it on hot days to see if it's as good as it is now, but overall it's a great find.   

No comments:

Post a Comment