Wednesday, September 6, 2017

First Impressions: Burt's Bees Fall 2017 Makeup

While browsing on Ulta.com I noticed a bunch of new makeup items from Burt's Bees. I love their lipsticks, so of course I had to try the new items. I purchased liquid foundation, mattifying powder, blush and eyebrow pencil. Ulta has a promotion until 9/9/17 giving Burt's Bees eyeshadows with $15 BB purchase, so I did get that as well. This is going to be my first impressions review on those items.


I'm showing Goodness Glow Liquid Foundation (link) in natural light and in sunshine. When it's in the sun, it shows true color though I still think this foundation runs lighter. I have light skin and purchased 1025 Natural Beige, but I wish it was a bit darker. I don't think the color selection is great in general. I do like the glass bottle and that it comes with a pump dispenser.  


You can see in these photos that I have quite a lot of product on my hand. Well, to cover my face and neck I needed twice the amount. This foundation is supposed to be full coverage, but I'd say it's more medium to full coverage as it still let my skin show through. Blending it out took longer than I'm used to, but it covered nicely on most areas of the face. The problem area was nose and around it. Those parts covered lighter and the foundation looked separated. The overall look was fine from further away, but up close you could see the imperfections.

The foundation lasted well for about 5 hours and then the nose area and the part above the lips started separating and looked patchy. I tried fixing my makeup, but it didn't seem to help. All in all, it's not a bad product, but since I have a foundation that gives me perfect results every time, I can't say this one is a great one. However, it's not the worst one and being a natural foundation it's worth a second chance.    


I purchased Mattifying Powder Foundation (link) in color 1110 Vanilla. The design of the packaging of all these products is very cute, but is made out of very light plastic that feels cheap (with the exception of liquid foundation)

While it's called powder foundation, I don't think it's good used on its own. It's really a finishing/oil absorbing powder. This shade has a wide range fitting fair to medium skin tones, which I'm not sure about, but since I have light skin, I can't test this theory. It did look good on my skin, and it's one of the products I'm keeping.  


The powder compact is slim and it still comes with a mirror and a sponge. I use such sponges on the go, but at home I always use brushes. The powder quite impressed me. It is very finely milled and blends into the skin perfectly. It doesn't give a flat matte effect, and has some glow in it, which makes the skin look healthy and alive.  


I've got Blush (link) in shade Bare Peach. The packaging is flimsy, but the product is worth attention. The color is very universal and would go beautifully with any makeup look.


While the color is flattering on most skin tones, it's not overly pigmented. I bet you can barely see it in these swatches on my hand and it shows better in sunlight as the blush has some glow in it. While it didn't swatch too good on the hand, the color gave more pigmentation and showed up better once applied on the cheeks. The color wasn't too strong, it was quite light, but the glow was so beautiful and natural.   


Burt's Bees also came out with Eyebrow Pencil (link) that is offered in two shades: Blonde and Brunette. This pencil is very soft and cream, so it needs sharpening after each use. I don't mind it, but it's a product that won't last long. The color is very pigmented. The pencil has a spoolie on the other end making it easy to use at home and to travel with.  


I purchased both color as sometimes even darker shades work on my brows. The Brunette one didn't work for me this time as it had warmer tone, and I didn't feel like it suits me. I did keep the Blonde eyebrow pencil and I've use it almost every day since I first tried it out. The color fits me perfectly and it's actually almost identical to 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Eye Brow Powder Gel in Taupe, which is one of my all time favorite eyebrow products.   


I mentioned earlier that Ulta gives Eyeshadow (link) in Countryside Lavender with $15 Burt's Bees makeup purchase. I was interested in it anyway, so I was happy to receive it for free. However, after trying it out I'm very disappointed and this is the worst product from this line of makeup.

I'm into neutral earthy tones, and usually lavender shades aren't for me, but after seeing this palette in person, I wanted to try it as the colors seemed more beautiful and more wearable than I imagined. The top and bottom colors are matter and the middle one has glitters. The matte colors feel creamy, they're easy to pick up and are well pigmented. They do swatch better on the hand, but on the lid might need 2 layers. However, even one layer covers evenly. While thy are both nice colors, they're nothing unique and special and they're too basic to get me excited. While at last the outer shades apply well, the middle color is the problem one. No matter how hard I rubbed it, it didn't pick up with my finger and it didn't swatch on my hand. I also tried it with a brush and after dipping it and layering it on the lids at least 10 times, I could still barely see any hint of shade, and nothing that would be wearable and noticeable.      

No comments:

Post a Comment