Thursday, March 16, 2017

Lipstick Wars: Bellapierre "Va Va Voom" vs. Dior "877 Turn Me Dior"

When I opened Nordstrom's email advertising new Dior lip lacquer sticks, I needed them instantly. All colors right here and right now. Though there was one "but" - they weren't out for sale yet. Luckily I can be patient, and finally I got my hands on a couple of them. This post will be just about one of the colors, because the moment I put it on my lips, I felt deja vu.

That special color is Dior Addict Lip Lacquer Stick in 877 Turn Me Dior (3.2ml, retails $35). A bold, bright pink red color that could be simply described as raspberry red. It's the color that attracts looks, but it's not over the top to wear in the morning or during the day. In my mind this is that perfect bright color that's more wearable than regular red. I had to put it on my lips right away, and once I did, I had to double check what's in my hand, because right away I thought of another lipstick.

The lipstick I had in my mind was Bellapierre Mineral Lipstick in Va! Va! Voom! (3.5ml, retails $20), which is described as deep pink, yet I would describe it exactly like I did Dior - raspberry red. I got this lipstick last summer, and I reach for it whenever I want something bright. I've worn it plenty of times, so after trying out Dior for a few times, I decided to make a comparison of these two so similar shades.



I didn't save Bellapierre's packaging, but it's nothing fancy compared to Dior's holographic box. Though I love nice packaging, I don't really care about it too much as it gets into trash the moment I unpack my products. As for the lipstick tube itself, Dior has a heavier, more sturdy packaging, and the metal part and lipstick are slimmer. While Bellapierre's tube is more simple and feels lighter, it kept well since summer and has no cracks, etc. in it.  

L to R: Bellapierre Va! Va! Voom! , Dior 877 Turn Me Dior

Looking at the colors in the tubes, they are very very close, and if you really try hard, you might notice that Bellapierre has a tiny bit more pink tone. Yet this is just looking at them, and as you might know, products can have even greater difference from outside, but they swatch identical.

L to R (daylight inside): Bellapierre Va! Va! Voom! , Dior 877 Turn Me Dior

L to R (in the sunshine): Bellapierre Va! Va! Voom! , Dior 877 Turn Me Dior
As you can see from the photos above, both colors swatch the same - a beautiful raspberry pink! Dior has that shinier, more wet look, and feels very gel-like while Bellapierre has less shine and comes on creamy. They both apply wonderfully, and feel comfortable on the lips. Both colors stay on well as well. However, as time passes Bellapierre starts feeling a little drying (though you can't see that, and it still looks perfect on the lips). Dior feels very light and comfortable start to finish.

As for taste/smell, I'm not a fan of both lipsticks. I used to use Dior lipsticks a lot in the past, but this one smells more perfume-y, more intense, and it's a little annoying for me personally. I'm sure I will get used to it later, but for now it bugs me every time I use this lipstick. Bellapierre smells more like vanilla/cocoa, but again it is a bit overpowering for my taste. If I had to pick the one I prefer, I'd pick Bellapierre just because it smells a bit more food-like, not perfume-y.

To sum it up, I couldn't say that one is better than the other. Price-wise and from ingredient standpoint, I prefer Bellapierre, but if this was the color to be worn everyday (or often), I'd go for Dior. Besides, I love wet/shiny lip look no matter what the product is.

E

No comments:

Post a Comment