Thursday, November 16, 2017

Product Review: Voula The Serum Foundation

I got into liquid foundations pretty recently (during the summer), but I'm hooked on them and I know what I'm looking for in my foundations. I want my foundation to look natural, feel light on the skin, but give full (or good medium) coverage. I did find one that I have repurchased already, but that doesn't stop me from looking for more. Besides, I'm a person who likes to try new things and have a few options available. When I had a chance to try the new Voula The Serum Foundation* (link) I just couldn't resist it. So, let me tell you about this foundation, show color swatches and let's see if it ticks the boxes for my foundation requirements.


I have been using this foundation for some time now and I wanted to share my review on it. The foundation looks very high end in frosted glass bottles. It comes in 8 shades total and I've received four shades: 03, 04, 05 and 06. This foundation includes a bio-active complex of vitamins, marine extracts and holistic botanical-derived ingredients that not only make the skin look good, but are also beneficial. According to Voula, they help to rejuvenate and moisturize the skin, diminish the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and pores, control oils and provide anti-oxidant protection.

The texture is a little runny, but it is a serum-like foundation, so it's nothing unexpected. It doesn't dry quickly, so it gives time to work the product into the skin. I love this as I prefer to apply foundation to my whole face at once and not work in sections. It's a very lightweight product that feels like nothing on the skin, yet it gives good coverage. Voula describes coverage as medium-full and says that the foundation can be layered to achieve more coverage. I tried layering it up and I didn't like the result. When I apply foundations I tend to go over my nose area and chin with a second layer of product to make sure the coverage is flawless. However, I wasn't successful at doing this with Voula as instead of perfecting and giving more coverage, the foundation on those spots began to separate and get patchy. I did leave it the way it was and tested it for the rest of the day and it just went worse.

Next time I tried applying just one layer of The Serum Foundation and while the coverage was medium (a good medium) I enjoyed the way my skin looked. I also experimented with mixing this foundation with other full coverage foundations to achieve more coverage and that was successful even though I still didn't get full coverage. It's all personal preference and it's not a foundation I would use for going out, but I really enjoy how it looks and feels on my skin and I've been wearing it on a daily basis since I received it and will continue to use it.     

This foundation looks very natural on the skin giving it a satin finish. It gives the skin that "glow from inside" effect without giving any shine/oiliness. It lasts perfectly for 4-5 hours on my skin and then I need to fix nose or chin area. Those are my problem spots as I touch my face and I have to fix them wearing other foundations as well (though sometimes I have to do it in 5-6 hours), so how long the foundation stays on is individual for everyone. However, I lightly powder those trouble spots with pressed foundation and I can go on for another 3 hours without a problem. Again, this is my preference and I want my foundation to look perfect all the time, but since it is more of a medium coverage it might not bother other people and they might not need to touch up.


Left to Right: 03, 04, 05, 06 (Indoors 1)
Left to Right: 03, 04, 05, 06 (Indoors 2)
Left to Right: 03, 04, 05, 06 (Indoors 1)
Top to Bottom: 03, 04, 05, 06 (Indoors 2)

It's been so miserable and dark here these days that I had to take photos using artificial light. The ones that the caption says "Indoors 1" are taken with regular light and vanity mirror lighting was used to take "Indoors 2" photos that reflect true shades best.

While I don't sunbath, I do get some tan during the summer though I still stay light skinned. That's why I get away with using the same foundation shade all year round. However, during the summer and fall I can use light-medium shades and look very natural. Shade 03 of The Serum Foundation is meant for light skin with neutral undertones and this is exactly what I go for. When I saw this shade for the first time, I was quite sure that it will be too light for me, but I was wrong as it's a perfect match for me and looks like my skin once applied. The Serum Foundation in 04 is for light-medium skin with neutral undertones and is still good on my skin by itself, but I prefer mixing it with shade 03 or some other light colored foundation. Going into winter I have to be careful with light-medium shades as my tan is wearing off and I don't want to have contrast between my face/neck and the rest of the body. I've also swatched shades 05 and 06, but they are both meant for medium skin, so there's no way I can pull them off even if I tan.

No comments:

Post a Comment